Friday, April 10, 2009

Thank God It's Friday



Time for more random thoughts. I do this in conjunction with a fabulous blogger, Mrs. 4444 over at Half-Past Kissin' Time. She is really funny, and is happy to share even her most embarrassing moments, which I totally admire. Last week she chose me as her Favorite Friday Fragmenter, which makes me love her even more!

While I was laid up with my broken foot, I got caught a couple of times without the TV remote handy, and ended up watching some shows I would never have watched otherwise. One of those shows was Gunsmoke, which I don't think I liked even way back when it was on the first time. I'm not really a western-watching kind of gal. Anyway, I did learn something from Gunsmoke. Back in the western days, attempted murder wasn't a crime. Nope. If you shot at somebody and missed, nobody cared. Heck, a lot of the time, nobody even noticed. I'm not sure when this particular law got changed, but I'm glad it did.

Did everybody hear about what happened with the Sham-Wow guy? His real name is Vince Shlomi. Okay, let's all take a minute and enjoy his last name. Hee. Allright, now, if you haven't heard, Mr. Shlomi was arrested for an altercation with a hooker. Evidently, he hired a hooker for $1000 (I guess the Sham Wow gig paid pretty well!) and then had to beat her up when she allegedly bit his tongue and wouldn't let go. They both ended up arrested. Let me say that I do not condone violence of any kind, but I have to admit, this made me chuckle a bit. I mean, the first thing I thought about was that, if there was a mess, at the very least, he'd have something with which to clean it up (say it with me: shamWOW!). Most of all, however, I am supremely disappointed in my Sham Wow guy. He has a record now, and it's not for sales. Thanks to Becca over at Don't Get Me Started for alerting me to this troubling news.

I have a love of board games and jigsaw puzzles. I like doing puzzles by myself, but I like them even more with company. I think the reason I like them has little to do with the game or the puzzle, but more to do with the fun conversations that take place during them. I got this love from my parents, who loved to play games, and I've tried to instill it in my kids, with slightly less success. Back when I was a kid, we had only a few choices for fun: playing outside, playing games, or watching one of the three tv channels we had. Now family games have to compete with computer games, video games, MySpace, Instant Messenger and 500 television channels. Still, we actually wore out one of our favorite games, and I had to buy a replacement. The game is called Sequence, and I highly recommend it. It's one of those "one minute to learn, a lifetime to master" kind of games. I love love love playing it, even though Alex can totally kick my butt almost every time. He's very competitive.

Speaking of Alex's competitive nature - he is playing Lacrosse this spring for the first time. I knew he would like it - running around with a stick? He's all about that. His mom, on the other hand, is not at all sure she wants her baby out there getting beat up. I've decided the best thing to do is hold my breath and pray a lot. Hopefully that will keep him safe.

I hope you all have a fabulous weekend and a Happy Easter!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Easter, ME! I love the randomness of your Fragment Friday! I too, found the news of ShamWowShlomi so disappointing.
Oh my goodness, I have not completed a puzzle in years (I do crosswords each morning), when I have all my kids home, we are big Rummy players....a lot of laughing and fun!
Great post, once again!
~AM

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh-you cracked me up with the thought of cleaning up the mess w/ a sham wow! hahaha!

Proud Mom said...

Gooooood Morning Bruins fan! Gotta love the testosterone overload in that bloodbath last night.

I used to hate it when the players dropped the gloves but now I'm the closest one to the screen, screaming wildly and egging my man on.

Lucic is my hero (even at 19). But what about that gorgeous hit by Bergeron and that equally beautiful pass to Recchi for the kill? Can you believe they swept the Habs this year. Oh happy days!

I'm a bit wound up this morning, so back to the topic at hand... we love board games, and puzzles, too.

And I loooove your comment about Alex running around with a stick. Only you could take his interest in a sport and turn it into a one-liner. Hysterical, ME!

GO BRUINS!! We love you Kessel! And you, too, Looch! And Bergie, Charra, Timmy, Savvy, Hunwick, Krejch, Chucky, Wardo, Thotry, Yelle, Wheels, Wreck, Stewie, Bitzi, Axie, Wides, Monty, and.., Hell, we love all of you!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Came over from Half-Past Kissin' Time.

I'm also a fan of jigsaw puzzles and board games. Ever try doing a jigsaw puzzle online? It's maddening. I don't recommend it.

Have a great weekend!

Kim said...

Sham WOW - a hooker? He's going to have to do a lot more commercials to pay those legal bills!

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh - sham WOW! Never heard of the product let alone that story.

I must be out of touch! LOL

Happy Easter and I enjoyed reading your Friday post!

Brandy

Unknown said...

Vince, Vince, Vince. We expected better of our beloved Shammy man.

And yeah, lacrosse is a scary sport, so violent. At least today they wear protective gear. The native people who invented just whaled on each other.

Smoochiefrog said...

I have no clue about anything Lacrosse related. It's one sport that truly mystifys me.

You have a great Easter too!

Scriptor Senex said...

Thanks Mary Ellen - I've just visited Amazon and bought my first christmas present of 2009! How's that for advance buying? Sequence looks an ideal gift for my partner and I - we're always on the look out for board games. (She gets the gift and I get to play it - sounds good to me.)

Cupcake Blonde said...

Oh my gosh! I love Sequence!! That game is so much fun and frustrating. It causes much yelling and laughing and playful jabs. We play it all the time with my in-laws and alternate who is with who.

Mrs4444 said...

Wow.You must feel very satisfied, being able to unload all of these fragments (which are excellent, I must say.) Thank you VERY much for the kind words, too--very sweet :)

Sorry about your foot! And even sorrier that you had to watch crap on TV, heehee. I loved your observation about the attempted murder thing; Mr.4444 and I both got a good laugh out of that one.

Played Apples to Apples yesterday with a group of about 8 students; that game sure is a crowd pleaser. Have you played it?

katy said...

ShamWOW guy must not be leaving the gals he dates shouting WOW or why else would he have to hire a hooker.
I hate that my kids have gotten past the point of wanting to play sequence or any other game. We have a bunch of board games that very seldom get used.

Tonjia said...

oh and I missed the whole contest! darned work schedule.. grrrr

I love board games too! puzzles, not so much. they make me too frustrated.

that sham wow guy really screwed up! I wonder what his future holds. LOL

Laura ~Peach~ said...

i have two words for you... sequence dice!

Ps... yeahyeah more words I know but I so agree with you GAMES are wonderful but the conversations are priceless!

Alice said...

Duuuuuuddddddeeee....I did hear about the Shamwow guy...and it made me LAUGH! I have also taken great pleasure in sharing your review of the product when anyone brings it up. Seriously, though....your comment about him being able to clean up the mess?? OMG...please remember I'm pregnant and spontaneous laughter is VERY dangerous right now.

Reddirt Woman said...

Shlomi looked pretty bad... worse, I thought, than the hooker. Pretty bad. Pay a grand for the hooker, then get mangled up and get arrested for trying to get loose from the gal. I'm no one for violence, but from the looks of him and the fact that no charges were filed against him or the gal that there was question of his intent to do him harm and it seemed like he was trying to defend himself.

I love board games and especially Scrabble, but enjoy card games, too.

Hopefully, when Alex plays lacrosse they will require the kids to wear protective mouth-pieces. I've seen a player or two get hit in the mouth with the sticks. Ouch.

Oh, yeah... I like skunks... not up close and personal, but I think their coloring is gorgeous.

Fun post.

Helen

Andrewuobv said...

Oh my gosh! I love Sequence!! That game is so much fun and frustrating. It causes much yelling and laughing and playful jabs. We play it all the time with my in-laws and alternate who is with who.