Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Like Father, Like Daughter

As the latest entry into the NATURE vs. NURTURE debate, I offer this description of a moment in time, Tuesday afternoon, approximately 2:15 PM:

I am finally prepared for the big highlight of my day - a trip to the Post Office. I head out with packages and envelopes piled precariously in my left hand, along with my purse, my Ipod and my keys. In my right hand I carry my freshly-made coffee in my favorite travel cup, my cell phone, and a bag of clothes to donate to the thrift shop. Actually, to be honest, the bag of clothes was headed for the trunk, where it will sit for a really long time until I can't fit something else in there, and THEN it will go to the thrift store.

Anyway, I carefully put all the above mentioned items into my car, turn on the ignition, put on my seatbelt, place my car into reverse, and...

promptly drive out of the driveway with my travel mug on the roof of my car.

You're now either A) laughing at me; B) sympathizing with me; or C) wondering what on earth that has to do with the Nature vs. Nurture debate.

For those in category C, I will explain that, like me, my dad had the same cranial defect that caused him to set things down on his car trunk or roof and then forget all about them. When I was a kid, I stood on the porch of our house and frantically waved, or ran after him down the driveway, shouting STOP! WAIT! DAD! more times than I could name. Once I saw him set his suitcase down behind the car and then back over it. If there are cars in heaven, I bet he's still doing it.

If I had a dime for every Dunkin Donuts coffee I've ever left on my roof, well, I could buy a lot more coffee. I've also lost quite a few mugs, tall glasses, a couple of stuffed animals and some Tupperware. I've also learned a lot about velocity and wind speed related to the various weights of a large, full cup of coffee versus crackers in a small plastic bowl. Also, like my dad, I don't get excited about it. I just try to pick it up carefully, so nobody gets broken glass in their feet or tires, and I move on.

Dad always claimed that he had so many important things on his mind that he would sometimes forget 'the little things.' My mother didn't think it was so little the time he ran over the suitcase (I can still hear her saying, "NOT ONE OF THE MATCHING ONES!").

So, that'll be my story too. I'm always thinking about important things. Just like my dad.

18 comments:

Ellen said...

Hi Mary Ellen, thanks for stopping by!!! What a lovely part of the world you come from. I've always wanted to visit Maine!!

Regards,

Ellen in Ireland

Unknown said...

Yes, Mary Ellen, there ARE cars in heaven.

Which is where ours should be, right now.

Speaking of nature vs nurture, what exactly is on your iPod because I'm dying for something GOOD (see: nothing produced before hip hop)

Also, I like the picture you paint of your father. It is a loving one, if no one else caught it. His automotive forgetfulness, as it were, is a type of endearment you have for him.

At the time, I'm sure, it wasn't. Today, it is. And I like that you remember it that way. And I didn't even know the guy.

Unknown said...

make that ANYTHING produced BEFORE hip hop

did i tell you I was sick and needed a brain transfusion?

Lipstick Jungle said...

I hope there are cars in Heaven because I always imagine my mom and step father on an eternal Route 66 in her 56 Thunderbird...

That being said, I have a feeling if your dad is still doing it, the items remain where he left them - because there is perfection in Heaven! And hopefully he has less on his mind!

I am more the kind that tosses things in the car forgetting one of the items is open and full of liquid. My seats and carpets have met my Little Green Machine more than the carpet in my house!

Mary Ellen said...

Andy - I have all kinds of stuff. We have around 12,000 songs on our shared network drive at home. What are you in the mood for?

I could send you a list of what's on my Ipod currently if that would help.

Unknown said...

you're the bomb!

you're so effing money and you don't even know it

actually, a list would be cool

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

I don't think there are cars in heaven. I think it's PRADA bags as far as the eye can see.

Hallie

Unknown said...

"NOT ONE OF THE MATCHING ONES!"


LOLHAHAHAHA I spit my coffee out!!!!

Alice said...

LOL!!!! Sympathizing with you totally on this one. My mom swears that if I ever have kids, I'll end up leaving one of them on the roof of the car!!! (I think she's kidding....) :)

Reddirt Woman said...

Oh, I can so relate to this one... not coffee though, diet Pepsi in those 34 oz. mugs is the one I wipe out most often... and it is because I have so many important things going on in my head. And I loved the "not one of the matching ones". If I'd have been drinking I would have blown it out my nose on that one. Not a pleasant thought since I've been fighting a 'code in the head'...

Thanks for making me snort...

Helen

Abby Reed said...

I have found that, despite being adopted, my dad and I have the same hot-headed temper... we get irritated about things we can't change... amd even angrier that there's nothing we can do about it... it's amazing the things you "inherit" when you aren't even blood related :)

As Cape Cod Turns said...

Yes, I would be in the sympathizing category! I haven't left that many things on my roof, but I "hate when that happens!"

Laura ~Peach~ said...

I am so far behind... but on this subject ... WOW... the things I found out...My mother is 15 years younger than my father (bios) I am 17 years younger than my hubby...When we met I was in nursing school she was in nursing school my adoptive mom is a nurse too. I had moved to Georgia and my bios had moved from missouri to Georgia too. we my bio and I have the same middle name (not the name she gave me) my mom also has the same name only its her first name. there are so many weird things quirks i suppose that my bio people and I are alike in... like cant stand anything between the toes so no flip flops for us. Food likes and dislikes (we dont dislike much) Ummm I could go on for hours... but the funny stuff is how much I LOOK like my adoptive parents ... I also look like my bio father and siblings... look nothing like bio mother. Anyway its actually kinda fun learning the things and I NOW believe that there is a lot to nature and a lot to nurture... both contribute to WHO we are.
Hugs Laura

Mrs4444 said...

Too funny! I've been there, for sure!

joanne said...

Oh I love that story...thanks for sharing it. "if they have cars in heaven," I like that and I hope they do...my dad would be very happy...;)

Shellie said...

I have that defect too. And I agree with your dad, how can I keep track of inconsequential mortal things when I'm busy puzzling over the universe?

Kathy Ireland said...

Well here's my coffee on the car roof story.

My mother and sister were throwing me a 40th "surprise" party which I totally knew about. My mom is so sneaky though, she claimed we were having a "family dinner" and could I please pick up a cake from a bakery that we love.

I parked the car, went into the bakery, paid for (my own) birthday cake, bought a coffe and came back to the car. There was a parking ticket on it.

I was so p.o'd. I put the coffee on the roof of the car, carefully put the gigantic cake on the passenger seat, got into my car and drove away. About a half a block away, I spied the guy who had put the ticket on my car. He stepped out onto the road and started waving at me. He was laughing as I pulled over and he walked to my side of the car and reached up, picked the coffee off the roof of my car and handed it to me. When I told him I had done that because I was so upset about getting a ticket on my BIRTHDAY, he ripped up the ticket.

Eve said...

Hahaha... that is such a great memory! "not one of the matching ones!" - Love it! :)