Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Take a Picture

I have a lot to do today, and not much time to blog, so I thought you might enjoy seeing what's happening in the great white North. Here are a few pictures I took in the last few days.

If you've ever wondered what it's like to take care of 33 sled dogs in the middle of a blizzard - this is it.

Alex, who was home for a snow day from school on Monday, didn't get to laze around in his pj's all day like the other kids. He had to feed and water the dogs - carrying 5 gallon buckets of 'slop' through deep snow. Doesn't that sound like fun?

This might be when he realized that he still had to shovel out all the paths, gates, doghouses and fences. Or that could be his 'quit taking my picture, Mom' face. Luckily, he's wearing that fleece face shield, and I can't see it.

Who knew that if you take an old soccer sock, tie a couple of knots in it, and give it to the wieners, they can have fun for hours? These are Hallie's dogs, Fenway (left) and Chauncey.


Hallie was very brave to put her hand in there! Look! It's flying wieners! Oh my gosh, was it fun to watch them play tug of war. Wieners are so cool. Even if you can't tell the difference between when they're standing and when they're sitting. Love you, my sweet Chauncey-man.

17 comments:

Sornie said...

I'm guessing that there was probably a very distinct facial expression under that face mask. ANd waht qualifies as a blizzard for you? Was it below zero?

claudia said...

See? Now there's where'd I would get lazy. I would try really hard to find a place in the house for the 33 sled dogs. No need to dig paths out to feed them that way. (yea, I know...it would be just a little crowded)
Hallie's dogs are so cute. I bet they are a hoot to watch while they play tug of war.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Those are some mighty fine looking wieners you posted!!

They love you. You are the only one who has ever brought them a sock!!

H

As Cape Cod Turns said...

That probably was a priceless face. At least he didn't give you the finger too.

Unknown said...

MY boss and his wife have 27 dogs in their yard and he says some days he loves them, so me days he wishes he had a gun to shoot himself so he didn't have to do the work. But hey, its teaching Alex to be a responsible adult, right?

Laura ~Peach~ said...

Martha's friend mary's parents have pit bulls and other dogs... 16 of them in the house! I do not advise that you move 33 sled dogs into the house I would shovel and tote ... no not in the house...
Love the pictures its chilly but clear here today and supposed to be 78 by friday! wanna come down and play here? :)

Unknown said...

WOW! I can NOT imagine trying to care for 33 dogs! # at one time is all I could ever manage!
And looking at all that snow gave me the shivers!!! PLEASE KEEP IT THERE! :)

Sarah Laurence said...

Boys and dogs just love snow, don’t they? They remind me of how fun winter is. Thanks for sharing. Funny sausage dogs!

Reddirt Woman said...

My girls love a knotted sock, too. Some of the best toys are the cheapest ones. I thought it was bad maybe the three times that I had to shovel out paths for my girls to go potty. Three times in nine years. You Mainers are a tough breed. I'd never make it. I'd be teaching the babies to use a litter box or something that I could just throw out of the second story window when the big snows were on us.

Odette said...

Aww cute wiener siblings!!!!!!

I feel Alex's pain in a way. I used to have to get up and take the bus out to the barn and feed and turn out all the horses in the snow. But I'm sure that the doggies appreciate it... ya know the whole not going hungry and everything! :)

Laura Marchant said...

Is that doggy pooping on the far right, lol!

Unknown said...

me...great pictures! it looks sooooooo cold!
~AM

Joni said...

My hat is off to your son for his dedication to those dogs! And I love those little weiner dogs...we always had doxies when I was a kid and they have such personality!

Tonjia said...

I am so sympathizing with you guys, you have really had the brunt of a horrible winter.

Love the pics of Fenway and Chauncey, I need another wiener..

Cupcake Blonde said...

I love doggie pictures, they make me happy. Especially ones of wieners. Snow pictures...don't like as much.

su said...

I am impressed that you son managed to remain upright while slogging through this wonderful winter we are having. As I venture out to the bird feeders.. I call a neighbor to check in with me in a bit by phone, as I have been known to flop around in the deep snow for some time before uprighting myself. Frightening but so that I woould give up the slogging!

Lipstick Jungle said...

I am imagining some serious glares behind the fleece as well!

Thats some snow! Is it pooling water now? Didn't you all warm up? Maybe not... I dont know. I am just rambling...

okbye!