Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Distractions

I'm having a hard time concentrating on the computer lately. Partly because I'm trying so hard to get a job that my computer time is spent looking for openings, perusing company websites, and contacting head hunters. I've been spending 6 or more hours per day just on the job hunt, and after that, my eyes can't take any more.

Oh, and then the other distraction: It's not raining. It's not raining. IT'S NOT RAINING!

I have been trying to speed-read through all my favorite blogs without commenting, but that seems a bit unsatisfying to me. I'm an extrovert by nature, and if I stop by to see you, I want you to know it. When I get to your blog, while I'm reading it, I feel like you're speaking to me. Just me - at least at that moment. In my mind, we're having a conversation, you and I, and I want to respond to you. That's what extroverts do.

Part of the problem is that a lot of the bloggers I read are funny and clever - sometimes downright hysterical, in fact. When I read something especially witty, trying not to comment on it is almost impossible. How else will you know I'm laughing my ass off?

Perhaps I'll give up sleeping. I mean, sleeping isn't that important, is it? Or, maybe, I'll get a great job where I can blog all day long if I want without them noticing. If anyone knows of an opening in a position like that, please put in a good word for me.

14 comments:

Evansmom said...

Hallie and I have decided we need to me. It is obvious that we both have good taste as we both adore you! We are curious to see what else we might have in common. Any thoughts?

Evansmom said...

whoops. we need to meet is what I meant to say. That's what I get for dashing a quick comment before a meeting. Shhhh, don't tell my boss!

Eva Carper said...

there are lots of great jobs like that! any desk job that doesn't monitor the websites you visit during the day would suffice :)

for a different kind of girl said...

As someone desperate for some sleep, let me say sleep is very important! Or so I'm told. I wish I could remember!

I'm so bad lately at responding to wonderful commenters that I feel bad, so if you've been reading and not having time to comment, it's ok. Now we can both feel a little less guilty!

Good luck with the job hunt!

joanne said...

you don't comment??? I feel so used...
good luck with the job hunt, and sleep and all. And oh, yeah, I heard sleep was rather important, not that I can testify to that..;p

Unknown said...

sleep is highly over-rated!
Good luck with the job search, it is tough...I do understand what you are going through.
~AM

claudia said...

Good luck on the job hunt. I always got a job on the eleventh hour with unemployment. BUT...I ended up compromising and now I am in a constant state of trying to find more money! Sometimes I wish I had waited for the job with the reasonable rate of pay!

Lori Skoog said...

ME-What kind of job are you looking for?

Of course we want to hear from you and don't stop writing...how else are we supposed to keep laughing OUR asses off?

Yey sunshine.

Joni said...

Hey, you need to get a job where Evan's mom works!

Enjoy your non rainy days...you can sleep later.

Scriptor Senex said...

Enjoy what little time you have and don't worry about comments - I started feeling guilty about not leaving comments and then I thought the idea of blogging is to enjoy ourselves so if we can only do part of it - read - and not manage the other - commenting - that is still better than not visiting at all.
Hope the job search goes well and that you land one where they won't notice your laptop on your knees. Turn the sound off and pretend it's research.

Unknown said...

sleep is WAY over-rtated

Mrs4444 said...

Wouldn't that be wonderful?! I'm like that, too, but lately, I've gotten better at not commenting just for the sake of commenting. I'm only commenting if I have something to SAY :)

As Cape Cod Turns said...

I totally wish I could see my computer screen when I am outside basking in the sun. I could get a lot more accomplished that way!!!

Cupcake Blonde said...

I haven't been around lately and I am not sure why. I think about blogging but never get around to it. I think I feel like I don't have enough attention or time to devote to it. But I'll come back around, I always do. :)