Saturday, December 6, 2008

And now for something completely different...

Well, since I've been told that people don't read blogs much on the weekends, and because I'm tired from not sleeping the last couple of nights, and for a bunch of other reasons, I've decided that today is the day.


What day, you ask? Well, the day when, instead of trying to come up with something interesting to say, I will instead try to figure out how to insert pictures in my little blog. I have no idea if I can make it work, but, nothing ventured, nothing gained.




These are my boys. Brandon, age 21, is on the left, and Alex, age 16, on the right. This was taken last summer at one of the beautiful beaches on the coast of Maine.


Yes, they are both long-haired freaks. I don't know why they both want to grow their hair so long. I certainly didn't start out preferring it, but I vowed a long time ago never to fight the hair battle with them. I have a firm rule about tatoos and piercings, but hair is temporary. And, if they get their hair genetics from their father's side, it's REALLY temporary, so they should enjoy it while they can. After I while I got so used to it that I actually think I like it. Go figure.



This is Brandon, racing his team of dogs. Oh, did I forget to mention that we have a whole kennel full of racing sled dogs? 40 of them. Seriously. Both the kids have been racing since they were about 3 or 4. Brandon was Maine State Open Class Champion for the last several years. He is in college, but lives at home to be near his precious dogs (and because he's no dummy and has figured out how good he has it!)





And this is Alex, racing his slightly smaller team (6 dogs). Both of these photos were taken last winter - with all the snow we had last year, they went racing just about every weekend. Alex is a junior in high school.

I've promised the kids that this blog will not be about them, but they are a huge part of my life, and I thought that you might like to see what they look like. This way, if I ever complain that they are driving me crazy, you can picture them.

19 comments:

Laura Marchant said...

Wow! I would have never guessed that you had a kennel of 40 dogs!

I giggled at the temporary hair part they might get from their father, lol!

Cupcake Blonde said...

So when I come to Maine to visit Hallie can I come over and get a ride on a dog sled? I always wanted to try that! :) How cool!

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

It is NOT Saturday yet I am reading your Saturday blog.

Exactly why is that??

Awesome pics. Might have seen them already but they look even cooler ON YOUR BLOG!! :)

H

Laura ~Peach~ said...

THEY are adorable! Cory did the long hair thing in highschool but when he decided to be a cop well the hair had to go... so we just shaved his head... once they are 18 mine ran straight to the tatoo shop... and I have to say corys tatoos are good I like them... but... Peircings NO ... not acceptable LOL.
VERY cool on the racing dogs and winning too!!!
UMMMM WHO said we dont read or blog on the weekend??? I do read and blog... so there NODS!
:D Have a great weekend and you have adorable guys!

Trooper Thorn said...

I guess you can't tell them they would be faster and more streamlined racers if they got their hair cut since they wear the wool caps.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

I was reading your blog in the middle of the night because....duh...I DON'T SLEEP!!!

Don't you know me at all?

H

Mary Ellen said...

Does this mean you think my blog is a CURE FOR INSOMNIA?

Man, that's just cold.

Unknown said...

And for those not from Maine, the first picture was taken on a Saturday, the second picture two days later.

Kim said...

I'm a Saturday reader!

My 11 yr. old has longish hair, too. It is a battle my husband and I have decided not to take on since he is polite, gets good grades and is an all around good kid! That's what is really important, right?

MaBunny said...

Nice lloking boys to be proud of. Way cool on the sled dog racing thing! Have a great weekend:) you did a good job getting photos to show up!

kim-d said...

Ya know what? Hallie was JUST WRONG when she said NOBODY blogs or reads on weekends. WE blog AND read on weekends, and we're cool--so I say it's only the ones who AREN'T cool that don't blog and read on weekends. BWAHAHAHAHA!

I think your guys are very, very handsome--and the dog sled racing is AWESOME!!! There are dog sled races up in the extreme northern part of Minnesota and I've always wondered about it. How very interesting, and that both of your sons do it HAS to help that brotherly bond :).

Hair is not important, to my way of thinking. With teens and early 20s adults, you pick your battles, I think. I have a hard time understanding many multiples of facial piercings, but the tattoos...well, since I am on of the tattoo'd ones myself, there's not much I can say. Except I like tattoos...BWAHAHAHA! Seriously, I truly think that things like hair and clothes (if they're not dangerous or offensive) don't matter if the people sporting them are decent, good people.

The dogs look beautiful!

Unknown said...

I too would have never guessed that you had a kennel of so many dogs. That would be neat to be around. I think your boys are handsome. I think the dog racing thing is awesome!

Oh, and sometimes I blog on the weekends, and most of the time I try and read when I get the chance.

joanne said...

Great job on the photos...it took me awhile to get that one down and even longer for the linky thing but it totally was not my fault...I'm just sayin' I got bad information ;)
I was surprised to see that your sons are so grown up. In my mind I had them much younger. Really neat about the dog sledding. It's always been on my to-do list. Just looks like so much fun ;)

As Cape Cod Turns said...

Wow! Dogsledding!? I know a lot about Maine, but I didn't know there was so much dogsledding. Hmm. And do you take care of 40 dogs or do the boys?
It's so fun learning about bits and pieces of your life Mary Ellen!

Lipstick Jungle said...

Im glad you gave us something different today ONLY because we learned something really cool about you!!! What handsome men you have! Even if they are facing male patterned - well, hair loss. hehehe

I have a cousin who also races sled dogs. He and his wife finished 50 & 51 in this years Itidarod. They lost one dog to a snowmobile accident while on the trail and have another one that was severely injured in the accident.

I love all the puppy love we get when we go up to visit! I don't know how you all do it though - thats a lot of slimy stinky food to make!

Thanks for sharing the boys and your pups!

Unknown said...

ME...you are blessed with two handsome sons. You are correct: choose your battles!

~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

Kim said...

I left you a fun Meme at my site. Check it out if you want to participate!

Unknown said...

You have sled dogs? how cool. I ahve a sled dog as a pet. He'd be a great lead on a distance team but mostly he sleeps on the couch.

Shellie said...

That is so cool, dog sledding! And I agree, the hair is just a phase, one day it will all be gone. They're cute.