Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Let's Dance

No one was more surprised than I when more than one of my readers requested that I post pictures of myself as a ballerina after I mentioned yesterday that I was hugely into ballet as a child. I'd like to think that it was because they thought I must have been so adorable that they couldn't bear to miss seeing me. Unfortunately, I believe the motivation was more along the lines of "her? a ballerina? No WAY!"

So last night I found myself searching through a box of old photos - ones I inherited when my mom passed away - to see if I could find proof.

Looking through pictures of my childhood brought back some sweet memories. Me on my First Holy Communion. My brother and I at Easter. My mom and I on a trip to Amish country, posing in a horse drawn carriage. My dog Lassie (who was named after the television show, but who was in no way a collie - that's what you get when you let the littlest kid name your dog!)
Some of my fondest memories revolve around dancing. I've mentioned before that my mother was one of the original working moms. She was a teacher, and had to work for a couple of hours longer than my brother and I were in school. He used to go to a friend's house after school, but I went to dance class. Every day. Five days a week. For eleven years. There was a ballet class from 4-5 every weekday, and another class from 3-4. The earlier class was different each day: jazz, tap, modern dance, folk dance, and - God forgive me - BATON TWIRLING.

Officially, I was only enrolled in ballet, but, since I was there early, I used to stand in the back and do whatever the other kids were doing. Thus, I became somewhat skilled at all the disciplines. I can still twirl a mean baton. I can also turn my legs out at the hip (hello arthritis) and put my feet in first position. I know all about arabesque and ronde de jambe attitude. If I ever stand on my tiptoes, in my head it's still relevé.
Anyway, I enjoyed the stroll down memory lane, so thanks for that. Now, so that you may mock me (because I know that's really what you want to do) here are the photos. Keep in mind that I don't own a scanner, so these are not the best quality. These photos were professionally taken before a recital, but I had to take a photo of them with my new digital camera, which I haven't really learned how to use yet, so they don't really represent the wonder of me as accurately as one might hope.

This costume was my pride and joy. My grandmother made it, by hand (no sewing machine!) and it took her weeks. I LOVED it so much and I think I still have it packed away somewhere.


Andy, I hope you're paying attention. A deal's a deal.

22 comments:

As Cape Cod Turns said...

So Cute!!!
I took ballet for a long time, but not quite as much as you. In my mind, I am much more graceful then I truly am! Do you love the movie White Nights, too?

Unknown said...

You were adorable once!

:-P

Okay, I WAS paying attention and you are now, officially, my personal editor. Expect a manuscript this spring

(PS: I want you to blog, with photos, your trip to Italy when you were a teen. See??!!? I DO listen when we talk.

kim-d said...

Awww, just look at your cute little ballerina-ish self! Wow, ME, those were some long legs you had for such a little girl!

And, yes. He definitely did it. He is the sociopath to beat all sociopaths.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Yep, I'm gonna say it...

YOU WERE CUNNIN!!!

Took me 17 years in this state to say it but I finally had a reason to use it.

H

Unknown said...

me...great memory! You are still just too darn cute! My oldest daughter took ballet and tap, she later joined th High School Poms. I have two left feet, so I have no memories of dancing.

~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

Kim said...

Too cute! Glad you enjoyed the memory lane trip.

for a different kind of girl said...

Made by hand?! WOW! I definitely do hope you have that tucked away somewhere.

Joanie said...

AW!!! What a cutie! Thanks for sharing!

Nonna said...

What a darling little ballerina you were...I took modern jazz and tap as a child but I wish I had taken piano too !

Laura Marchant said...

Oh you look so cute! I love seeing people when they were kids.

Alice said...

How cute were you?!??? I have some old pictures of when I took dance and now I'm wondering where they are....Love the costume. And I know it's even more special b/c your grandma made it!

claudia said...

I'm impressed! You are such a cutie!
The only dancing I did as a kid was the boogaloo, twist, monkey..oh and the ever popular dancing around the truth!
Such a beautiful costume! Aren't grandma's great?

Laura ~Peach~ said...

AAWWWWW you are so cute! love the dress I hope you still have it what a treasure!

Unknown said...

aaaawwwww

katy said...

Wow! Your grandma had some wild sewing skills. I wish I had half of her talent. I'm sure her model made her work even better.

Kellan said...

Weren't you just adorable!! Don't you just love the cute tutu outfits - so darling with the sparkles and sequins.

Have a good day - Kellan

Reddirt Woman said...

Awwww... Your grandmother did a great job on your costume and you must have felt like you were the most special girl in the world. I did custom picture framing for close to 40 years and I framed several ballerina costumes, complete with headpieces, shoes and photos of the little girls to keep for posterity. Thanks for the walk down 'your' memory lane.

Helen

joanne said...

Just look at you...absolutely adorable!! And just to make you feel a little better...I took baton twirling lessons age 6-7, my gosh was I 'duh or what, I mean who takes two years to learn how to twirl that damn thing?

Odette said...

That is sooo cute! I have so many pictures of me (and my bro lol) in dance costumes, they're fun to look back on! Thanks for sharing them with us!

Robin said...

totally cute! and you look the same. except for the tutu. unless you wear one around the house. who am i to judge?

Tonjia said...

the picture is adorable, what a beautiful costume!

Unknown said...

You look adorable... My dancing pictures are hidden forever...Horrible... I remember being 8 & knowing I looked like 40 year old... sigh...