I was feeling a bit uninspired for a blog post, so I thought I'd take care of a couple of tags I received. I got tagged by several people for the same two things. I'm still learning about tags and awards and such, so forgive me if there is supposed to be a time period in which to respond. Is it like thank you notes - you have up to a year to do them? If I messed up, I figure I can always claim ignorance (for at least a year, right?)
One of the tags was to post the fourth photo in my photo folder, and tell the story behind it. I have a lot of photo folders, so I just went to the one on my desktop, which is the first one I see, and here is the photo:
This is my oldest, Brandon, dressed up like a pirate. I should probably say that this was for Halloween, but it wasn't. Brandon works as a camp counselor and lifeguard in the summer between college semesters, and also works part time at the YMCA, lifeguarding and running the Teen Center. He loves to work with kids, and does stuff to make things fun for them. At camp, every Friday is theme day, and everybody is supposed to dress up to match the theme. He usually goes all out, and the kids love it. For two years in a row, he begged me to make him a real pirate coat for his Pirate Theme Day, and finally, I gave in and did it. I was pretty impressed with myself. The only problem was that as soon as it was finished, he started asking for pirate pants. Brandon is a goof ball, but the children adore him. He'll make a great teacher someday.
The other tag was about listing ten random/honest things about myself, which I've done before, so we'll see if I can think of 10 more:
1. I used to dance ballet. I took lessons from the time I was 3 until I was 14, and I was pretty good. When I got to high school, I decided I'd rather chase boys than dance. Not my finest decision, that one.
2. I can juggle scarves. I'm pretty good with them, but it does not translate into me being able to juggle anything that falls at a faster rate than scarves.
3. I'm a grammar and spelling freak. I was a journalism major in college, and my mother was an elementary teacher specializing in Language Arts. I obsessively proofread everything (except sometimes my own stuff) and find mistakes everywhere. It's like a hobby. Only creepier.
4. True crime fascinates me. I watch all those shows - American Justice, Forensic Files, Snapped, 48 Hours - and I don't want to talk about what that says about my personality.
5. I'm terrified to fly. I've done it a number of times, and will do it again, but I hate EVERY SINGLE FREAKING MINUTE of it.
6. I'm also scared of rodents, lightning storms and bees.
7. There are some kid movies on my list of movies I can watch over and over again - including The Incredibles and Holes. If you haven't seen these movies, you should.
8. I'm starting to feel a little empty-nest-ish. My oldest goes to college, works two jobs and has a girlfriend. Guess how much I see him? The younger one is very busy, as well, and is making plans to spend next summer somewhere besides home. I know the purpose of parenting is to have them leave, but truly? I miss them.
9. I'm allergic to beer. No, really, I am. Actually, I'm allergic to hops, which, I've been told, is what they make beer from. I only found this out because I had the full battery of allergy tests done (many years ago) and the doctor told me. The good news is that I hate the smell and the taste of beer, so it's not an issue.
10. I am NOT allergic to Bailey's Irish Cream. Or Kahlua. Or Vodka. Or whatever they put in Cosmopolitans, in case you were wondering.