Monday, January 19, 2009

Pirates and Random Thoughts

I've been trying to get myself out of the funk I've been in and into a better state of mind, and I feel like I've made some progress. I've been keeping extremely busy, and that helps. We got dumped on by snow again this weekend, and since I was here alone this weekend, it's been up to me to dig out and clean off. I still haven't mastered the one-arm shoveling system, but I did the best I could, and I also managed to get the cars cleaned off and out of the driveway for the plow guy.

I was feeling a bit uninspired for a blog post, so I thought I'd take care of a couple of tags I received. I got tagged by several people for the same two things. I'm still learning about tags and awards and such, so forgive me if there is supposed to be a time period in which to respond. Is it like thank you notes - you have up to a year to do them? If I messed up, I figure I can always claim ignorance (for at least a year, right?)

One of the tags was to post the fourth photo in my photo folder, and tell the story behind it. I have a lot of photo folders, so I just went to the one on my desktop, which is the first one I see, and here is the photo:



This is my oldest, Brandon, dressed up like a pirate. I should probably say that this was for Halloween, but it wasn't. Brandon works as a camp counselor and lifeguard in the summer between college semesters, and also works part time at the YMCA, lifeguarding and running the Teen Center. He loves to work with kids, and does stuff to make things fun for them. At camp, every Friday is theme day, and everybody is supposed to dress up to match the theme. He usually goes all out, and the kids love it. For two years in a row, he begged me to make him a real pirate coat for his Pirate Theme Day, and finally, I gave in and did it. I was pretty impressed with myself. The only problem was that as soon as it was finished, he started asking for pirate pants. Brandon is a goof ball, but the children adore him. He'll make a great teacher someday.

The other tag was about listing ten random/honest things about myself, which I've done before, so we'll see if I can think of 10 more:

1. I used to dance ballet. I took lessons from the time I was 3 until I was 14, and I was pretty good. When I got to high school, I decided I'd rather chase boys than dance. Not my finest decision, that one.

2. I can juggle scarves. I'm pretty good with them, but it does not translate into me being able to juggle anything that falls at a faster rate than scarves.

3. I'm a grammar and spelling freak. I was a journalism major in college, and my mother was an elementary teacher specializing in Language Arts. I obsessively proofread everything (except sometimes my own stuff) and find mistakes everywhere. It's like a hobby. Only creepier.

4. True crime fascinates me. I watch all those shows - American Justice, Forensic Files, Snapped, 48 Hours - and I don't want to talk about what that says about my personality.

5. I'm terrified to fly. I've done it a number of times, and will do it again, but I hate EVERY SINGLE FREAKING MINUTE of it.

6. I'm also scared of rodents, lightning storms and bees.

7. There are some kid movies on my list of movies I can watch over and over again - including The Incredibles and Holes. If you haven't seen these movies, you should.

8. I'm starting to feel a little empty-nest-ish. My oldest goes to college, works two jobs and has a girlfriend. Guess how much I see him? The younger one is very busy, as well, and is making plans to spend next summer somewhere besides home. I know the purpose of parenting is to have them leave, but truly? I miss them.

9. I'm allergic to beer. No, really, I am. Actually, I'm allergic to hops, which, I've been told, is what they make beer from. I only found this out because I had the full battery of allergy tests done (many years ago) and the doctor told me. The good news is that I hate the smell and the taste of beer, so it's not an issue.

10. I am NOT allergic to Bailey's Irish Cream. Or Kahlua. Or Vodka. Or whatever they put in Cosmopolitans, in case you were wondering.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

You HAVE to get photos of your ballet days!

And share them with just me, if you don't feel like posting them here.

For that I will allow you the privilege to edit my next masterpiece, since I know you are a grammar nut like me, just not with your own stuff. Usually.

Thirdly, how the hell do you get tagged? No one tags me. I've got tag envy.

kim-d said...

That is one fine-looking pirate! He must be the favorite with all of the kids; love it!

I am a true crime fan, too; I think I've read just about every book published, except for those about Jeffrey Dahmer and the BTK guy. I can talk to you about Ed Gein, though. BWAHAHAHA! I used to worry a little about what that said about me, too. Until I realized that I truly find them interesting both from a psychological angle, and because I'm fascinating by the law/trial angle. And as a digression, I am now so nervous about my grammar (or lack thereof) that I am finger-tied. Which would be the blog version of tongue-tied. Be kind to me; my ancestors were poor farmers :). AND...because this paragraph is already all over the place, I just want you to know that I enjoy all of the beverages you mentioned, even beer. Especially Summer Shandy beer. Yup, yup...no allergies here!

I'm glad that the funk is starting to recede. I hate to say this because it's going to sound so trite, but that doesn't make it any less true, in my humble opinion. It's all part of the roller coaster ride which, I'm sure, you don't need me to tell you. After this valley, there will be more peaks. I'm hoping for lots of them for you!

Kim said...

One of my favorite movies is also a kid movie. "Because of Winn-Dixie" - check it out!

MaBunny said...

Love the prate picture - thats great that the kids love Brandon - and hats off if he is a great teacher someday.
Loved the 10 random facts too:0 hope you are doing well.

Eternal Lizdom said...

My closest girlfriend is also allergic to beer. It came on unexpectedly a couple of years ago. Sad for her because she is a beer drinker. I'm allergic to rum. But not wine. Definitely not wine.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

Love the photo of Brandon what a handsom guy :) the kids will absolutely love him and he will make one great teacher!

I am sure my posts and comments and emails make you cringe I can spell well but that does not always translate to my typing and grammer LOOK OUT punctuation LOOK OUT MORE LOL.

Stephanie was a dancer and quite good too until she fell in LOVE with Cory and I used to tell her all the time het your head outta his ass and dance but NO she could not take the TIME away from him ... I think now she wishes she had stayed in dance.

My juggeling skills are limited to bills... I juggle the hell out of them ACK.

I like the true crime junk too... maybe not as much as you do But I can hold my own with it... I already know I have a bizzare personality, its in me genes LOL

I love to fly i get the camera out and forget all else but what will make a cool photo... I dont do it often though because I am not comfortable being a woman of considerable size and planes just are not made for considerable sized persons. sigh.

I do NOT do mices... I can tolerat most anything else as long as I see it before it is close to me and I can kill it but mices send me through the roof. ask mike about the 8 month nakid pragnat woman standing on th etoilet screaming... and the entire house being stuffed with steel wool then duct taped ... no more mices in my house since!

Kids movies... oh there are so many wonderful ones... HOLES is fantastic and 100% in line with the book. The incredables was good but not in my top 10.

My son took my daughter home with him... I actually think I like this. Of course I have a reprieve from the empty nest stuff because Bradley will be here soon and I can get him when ever I want... truth be known We may have him more than we really want but with stephanie working and going to school and cory working...well they say moms day care must reopen. no big argument from me :)

I am allergic to alcohol... well in the finest sense of the term I am simply an alcoholic and it just not pretty what metamorphisis comes over me so... 22 years later as of April 1st None has passed my lips. I do cook with some once in a while and I love the smell of whiskey... good barrel aged burbon oh dear me. LOL. I leave the drinking to the pros I just cant do it.

Great meme's keep playing and as for WHEN you do them I just think whenever works perfectly!

HUGS and Seatbelts in place :) on we ride on the merry rollercoaster of life!

Unknown said...

You may not know where you come from...okay you know...it's just not official...but you certainly know where you have been....and by the looks of you children...YOU HAVE DONE EXCEPTIONally WELL! BE PROUD! Your kids sound extra special!
how about some ballet picts?
And as far as "your birth mother" goes...well she is missing out on someone very special...and look at all the blogging pals who have "adopted" you! TRY and let us fill the void! And if pertaining to medical records, from you birth mother...does she have siblings...that maybe you could go to?

claudia said...

You are not so out of the norm. I can spell, I just can't type to save my life, so it looks like I can't spell. I love True Crime stuff! I am reading the latest Ann Rule book. Mortal something or other (can't remember the exact title) but it's Volume 13. She writes great stuff.
I have at least 100 Disney movies, and we are slowly getting the ones on DVD, cause the VCR types suck. Prolly as soon as we have collected all our DVD ones technology will come up with something better!
Your son? He is a very, very handsome man! How old is he? Ya know, I have a daughter in college. She is studying to be a respiratory therapist. She is a lifeguard and loves kids too. She surfs and during the summer works at a surf camp. See how much they have in common?
I hope your funk is going away. I am always here for you no matter how you are feeling, but I like happy Mary Ellen! And by the way...you ROCK doing all that snow cleaning up stuff. I don't even like mowing my lawn and I know that is a lot easier than shoveling snow!

Abby Reed said...

OMG, we have so much in common, it's scary! I was a journalism major, minored in Criminal Justice (which started a fascination with true crime. Serial killers totally interest me). Since I have a degree in Journalism, I am always critical of writing, grammer, spelling again, except of my own. What a hypocrite, huh?). And then the whole adoption thing...

On the topic of the past few days. I haven't left a comment because I really don't know what to say, other than.... I am here, and I truly understand. I'm sorry this is happening.

Unknown said...

i love that photo!

I don't like true crime stuff but I love anything medical related on TV, the gorier the better

katy said...

I have the empty nest thing going on too. I am doing better than I was a few months ago and am actually starting to enjoy little bits of time alone, but it won't last. I'm sure that when my youngest really goes away I will be in for a few weeks of misery. I just keep telling myself its a natural part of life and one day I will have grandkids to play with(-;

Joni said...

Nice to read your "tags"...many commonalities. My oldest left in July for grad school and my youngest is scooting up to the edge of the nest. I haven't seen the movies you mentioned, but the books were wonderful!

Robin said...

now that's one handsome pirate! but he does need some nifty pirate pants :-p

it's always interesting to learn about someone - and you are very interesting. but of course we all knew that!

i feel very self conscious suddenly grammer-wise, so i will shut up.

for a different kind of girl said...

Your son seems like a really awesome young man, and what a great, fun role model for the youth he works with!

I'm like you with the spelling and grammar issue. I tend to notice mistakes instantly when I'm reading because of the whole journalism background, but I miss the mistakes so much in my own writing because I've looked at it so much by the time I walk away.

Lipstick Jungle said...

Fun distraction!

What a fine pirate - arggggg!

He does need pants though... And maybe some pirate boots. Get on that would'ja?

I like grammar. It just dont like me.

hehehe

I hear you are getting another foot of snow tomorrow! I wish you luck in unburying!

Laura Marchant said...

You are now the second person I know who is allergic to beer :-)

Reddirt Woman said...

I love that you made your son's coat. My mom sewed for us anytime we needed or wanted something special to wear and it is one of many memories of her even after all these years. Now get going on those pirate pants. I probably would agree if you told him no on making boots to go with the rest of it though.

You get my "What A MaMa!!!" award today.

Helen

Nonna said...

I am also a spelling nut and it really bugs me when people are lazy or clueless when it comes to speaking the English language.

My favorite kid movies are " The Parent Trap" and "Summer Magic" I could watch them over and over again !

Handsome son...he makes a very convincing pirate !